Discrimination Learning, Probability and Organisational Culture

In Psychology ,discrimination learning talks about whether one can discriminate between two or more stimulus. We should and we do learn this skill very early, even before we learn language. This skill gives us necessary labels which become part of language ex. a child learns to discriminate between real puppy and toy puppy. This learning continues throughout our life, later in life we learn to discriminate between which activities give us reward and which activities don’t or whether to take credit for an event or blame someone else for same event.

2 (2)

One feature of discrimination learning is probability matching, where probability of response matches probability of event ex. if an employee is given two situations, situation A and situation B, probability of occurrence of A is 25% while probability of occurrence of B is 75%, now assuming that he is not aware of probabilities, and asked to predict probability, he will start with 50:50, but over a period of time, as he learns, he is able to predict actual probabilities i.e. 25:75.

3

This is applicable to organisational culture, a new employee is told about organisational culture in induction program. But soon employee using his skills in discrimination learning is able to understand which activities have more probability of getting rewarded and which have less probability of getting rewarded and starts practicing or learning those activities which have higher probability of getting rewarded.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s